It seems that the legend Ken Jennings’ offensive tweets have resurfaced, as the star is taking Responsibility for these past insensitive tweets.
Many unartful and insensitive tweets have resurfaced after Greatest of All Time champion Ken Jennings was named the first interim Jeopardy host, and he is apologizing after many posts he made online.
Jennings, 46, announced Wednesday he wanted to own up to many unartful and insensitive things he has shared on Twitter in the past that later came to light after he was declared as the first interim host on Jeopardy after the death of Alex Trebek.
“I just wanted to own up to the fact that over these years on Twitter, I’ve surely tweeted some unartful and inconsiderate things. Sometimes they served as jokes in my head, and I was terrified to see how they read on screen,” he stated in a Twitter thread.
He continued: “Sometimes I said dumb things in a dumb way, and I just want to apologize to the ones who were truly offended. It was not my intention to hurt anyone, but that does not matter: I screwed up, and I’m truly sorry.”
The star on Wednesday announced that in the past he would leave his uncaring tweet up so they could “be dunked on.” He added, “that way they could lead to smart replies and even advocacy. Deleting them felt like whitewashing a mistake.”
“Jeopardy!” announced at the end of November that the “Greatest of All Time” champion Jennings would be the first interim game show host after Trebek, 80, died following a battle with pancreatic cancer.
Ken Jennings’ Offensive Tweets Including 2014, 2015
Ken is facing backlash over a few tweets, including the one from 2014 that said, “Nothing worse than a hot person in a wheelchair,” according to USA Today. Back in 2018, he even refused to take down the post he shared.
A few other questionable tweets even included a tweet, which is deleted by now, from 2017 regarding President Donald Trump’s son Barron.
The star tweeted, according to the New York Post, “Barron saw a very long necktie and a bunch of expired deli meat in a dumpster. He thought it was his dad, and his little heart is breaking.”
The tweet ended in backlash from Donald Trump Jr., who called the gameshow candidate a real man” for picking on, at the time, an 11-year-old. Another tweet from 2015 included a joke regarding a terminally ill “Star Wars” fan who got to watch “The Force Awakens” before he passed away.
“If this year has taught us anything, it’s that we must be kinder to one another,” the star said in his apology. “I look forward to 2021 with that in mind.”
The first guest-hosted episode is listed to air on Jan. 11, 2021. The star holds Jeopardy’s all-time records for most progressive games won 74 and greatest winnings in regular-season play $2,520,700, the show announced.
Ken has crowned Greatest of All Time after a multi-night, prime-time event earlier this year in which he beat fellow top-money winners, James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter.
Alex Trebek’s Pancreatic Cancer Led to his Death
Alex Trebek, the genial Jeopardy host with all the answers and a reassuring presence in the TV game show landscape for five decades, passed away at 80.
Jeopardy was saddened to share the tragic news that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home on Sunday, November 9, surrounded by his family and friends.
Trebek’s cause of death was not immediately confirmed. The star announced back in 2019 he had been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, which triggered an outpouring of support and well wishes at the time.
“Alex wasn’t just the best ever at what he did,’ Jennings noted. “He was also a nice and deeply honorable man, and I am grateful for every minute I got to spend with him.” the star is survived by his wife, Jean, whom he married in 1990, and his three children.